A Slice of History
In 1970, a young evangelist by the name of Jean-Claude Joyal moved to the area with his guitar, his accordion, and his Bible. He started to hold meetings in houses in the villages of Duclos, Lac-des-loups, Otter Lake, Masham, Cantley, Aylmer, and Ottawa. He went wherever he was invited to go, singing praises to the Lord and preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. People were touched by the love and power of God. Miracles and healings took place.
In 1974, he married Valerie MacMillan, from New Brunswick. Together they founded Église du Chemin du Calvaire (Calvary Road Church) in Hull, in 1975. They put a lot of effort and heart into building a nucleus of Christians who, with them, maintained a constant presence of prayer and faith in the area.
In 1982, they opened the Hull Christian School, which for the next fifteen years offered a program of primary and secondary education to families in the region.
Alain Caron took over the leadership of the school in 1988. Coming out of the cocaine world, he was radically saved and delivered when Jesus appeared to him in January 1987 during a worship time at church. Alain was the director of the school until 1997.
The Lord continued to do His work and at the end of the 1990s He called Jean-Claude and Valerie to an apostolic ministry that takes them across Canada and to many other countries. To be free to pursue their calling, they handed the responsibility of the church over to Alain and Marie Caron. Under their direction, the church continues to develop and in 2010 and 2011, Le Chemin transitioned to the apostolic model that characterizes it today. Le Chemin Apostolic Centre is a church for the 21st century that strives for everyone to grab a hold of their future and seize their destiny.
- Love is not negotiable: we will always love our God and we will always love one another (Mark 12:29-31)
- We are a family: our approach is collective and not independent
- We put down our personal agendas in order to listen to and obey the Lord – we let God take the initiative
- Unity is not optional, it’s a necessity (John 17)
- We form a critical mass, a catalyst for the desires of God on the earth
- We want to be a dwelling place, a place of rest for His glory (Psalms 132; Ephesians 2:21-22; 1 Peter 2:4-5)
Église Le Chemin is more than an ideal; it’s a way of life.
In expressing God’s heart in the city, we want everyone to be able to get a hold of the future and seize their destiny.
- Proclaim the Good News of the kingdom throughout the world (Mark 16:15 and Matthew 24:14)
- Teach those who believe so that they will become disciples of Jesus (Matthew 28:19-20)
- Together become the church that Jesus dreams of: the gate of heaven and the house of God on the earth (Genesis 28:17)
- Establish communities of believers all around us: congregations, local assemblies, cell groups, prayer groups, support groups, etc. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved. (Acts 2:47)
- Activate all members of the church and form teams that can be sent on the road, in order to make territorial gains for the kingdom of God and to help other churches